This vegetarian chopped salad is delicious! If you want to add meat, you can add some dry salami or pepperoni.
We love it as-is! Plus, the dressing is so good … you are going to want to pour it on all of your salads!
- 2 heads chopped romaine lettuce
- ½ medium head of radicchio, finely chopped (about 2 cups)
- ½ medium red onion, chopped
- 2 stalks celery, chopped
- 1 pint cherry tomatoes, sliced
- ⅓ cup stemmed and thinly sliced pickled pepperoncini peppers
- ⅓ cup oil-packed sun-dried tomatoes, rinsed and roughly chopped
- 1 can (15 ounces) chickpeas, rinsed and drained
- 1 cup (4 ounces) ¼″ cubes of provolone cheese (optional)
For the Vinaigrette:
- ⅓ cup extra-virgin olive oil
- ⅓ cup red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 1 teaspoon honey, agave or a few drops of stevia
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon salt, more to taste
- Pinch of red pepper flakes, for spice (optional):
- In a large serving bowl, combine the chopped lettuce, radicchio, onion, celery, cherry tomatoes, peppers, sun-dried tomatoes, chickpeas and cheese (if using). Toss the ingredients together and set aside.
- Vinaigrette: combine all of the ingredients in a liquid measuring cup. Whisk until blended or blend in a blender. Taste, and add more salt if desired.
- If you’ll be serving all of the salad at once, go ahead and drizzle enough dressing in to lightly coat the salad and toss to combine. I prefer to store the salad and dressing separately so I can enjoy salad for a few days. Just whisk the dressing again before drizzling (if the olive oil solidifies a bit in the refrigerator, don’t worry, that’s normal—just let it warm up for about 5 minutes at room temperature).
Let us know what you think!